As we get closer and closer to summer, time calls for rooftop soirees, backyard bbq’s and bar hopping into the wee hours. But to get warmed up to what’s to come later in the month, we celebrate Cinco De Mayo (May 5th), a celebration to commemorate the Mexican’s army victory over the French forces. As we can leave to our imagination on how they celebrated this pinnacle moment during that time, we’re sure spirits were involved! And what better way to continue this tradition in partaking in the festivities with the original spirit born in Mexico….Tequila!! Whether you’re keeping it low key at home or making it a huge festival, we’ve got some of the best cocktail recipes to try out from some of the best tequila brands ever existed. Check them out below
1800® Tequila Silver
Made from 100% Weber Blue Agave — aged for 8-12 years and harvested at their peak. The liquid is double distilled, and a special selection of white tequilas is blended together for added complexity and character. The result is a premium tequila with a smoother, more interesting flavor than most on the market. The clean, balanced taste with hints of sweet fruit and pepper is perfect sipped neat, on the rocks, as a shot or in a cocktail.
- 2 oz. 1800® Silver
- 1 oz. Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz. Agave Syrup
- 1/2 oz. Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
Combine all ingredients in a shaker, shake and strain into salted Rocks glass. Garnish with Lime Wedge.
THE EAST SIDE
- 1 1/2 ounces 1800® Silver Tequila
- 3/4 ounce lemon
- 1/2 ounce honey syrup
- 7-8 mint leaves
- Lemon twist
Jose Cuervo ESPECIAL
What better way to kick off Cinco de Mayo than with Jose Cuervo Especial. As the top selling tequila brand on the market, Cuervo is the choice tequila for festive Cinco de Mayo celebrations. The brand has a colorful Mexican history decorated with spirited cocktails made with the new 222nd anniversary bottles. Especial brings the party every time and is the perfect compliment to any Cinco party.
CUERVO TEQUILA SUNRISE
- 1 part Jose Cuervo Especial® Silver
- 2 parts orange juice
- 1 tsp grenadine
- Orange wedges
- Maraschino cherries
In glass, add ice, 1 part Jose Cuervo Especial® Silver and 2 parts orange juice. Stir. Slowly pour in 1 tsp of grenadine. Garnish with orange wedge and cherry.
Don Julio 70
As the number one cristalino in Mexico, Don Julio 70 Añejo Claro is the clear choice for your celebrations! Don Julio 70 is twice-distilled and aged to perfection for 18 months in American white oak barrels, giving it the rich complexity of a traditional Añejo, and then carefully charcoal-filtered to bring back the crisp agave flavor typically found in our Blanco. This extraordinary tequila represents another evolution in the tequila category and was the first Añejo Claro, pioneered by Master Distiller Enrique de Colsa. Don Julio 70 is excellent mixed in cocktails, so try your hand at the Clarified Avocado Margarita to really get a taste of Mexico, or aim for the Afternoon in Jalisco that has fresh, citrus notes.
CLARIFIED AVACADO MARGARITA
Created by San Francisco Mixologist Leon Vazquez
- 16 oz Tequila Don Julio 70 Añejo Claro
- 6 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- 4 oz Simple Syrup
- 30 dashes Orange Bitters
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Serrano Peppers
- 1 Bushel of Cilantro (Approximately 40 Leaves)
- 6 tablespoons Salt
- 40 oz Whole Milk
- Lime Twist for Garnish
- Combine 4 ounces lime juice, simple syrup, orange bitters, avocado, peppers and cilantro into an airtight container. Coarsely grind the peppers, avocado and cilantro.
- Add 14 ounces boiling water and immediately cover so that no liquid evaporates. Let mixture sit overnight, then strain the mixture into a clean container and add Tequila Don Julio 70 Añejo Claro.
- Bring whole milk to a boil. Add the boiling milk and the remaining 2 ounces of lime juice to the strained mixture, the milk will curdle.
- Strain the liquid slowly with cheesecloth. Pour liquid into a clean container, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Serve neat with a lime twist.
AFTERNOON IN JALISCO
Created by New York City Mixologist Christopher Reyes
- 1 1/4 oz Tequila Don Julio 70 Añejo Claro
- 1/4 oz Absinthe
- 3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 3/4 oz Fresh Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 oz Simple Syrup
- Ginger Beer to Top
- Candied Ginger and Lime Wheel for Garnish
- Combine Tequila Don Julio 70 Añejo Claro, absinthe, fresh lime juice, fresh pineapple juice and simple syrup and into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well.
- Strain contents over ice into a highball glass.
- Top with ginger beer and garnish with candied ginger and lime wheel.
HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!
Show Comments (0)